YMCA Youth and Government is a nationwide civic engagement and servant leadership program that provides students in high school with the opportunity to represent and serve their communities through model government, leadership, professional development, advocacy and service learning.
Students can join Youth & Government through a local delegation found in their high school or local YMCA.
- Oct. 1: 2022 Youth and Government Conference Registration Opens
- Oct. 6: Advisor and SDL Calls
- Oct. 17: First-Year Delegate Virtual Orientation | 3 - 4:15 p.m. REGISTER ONLINE
- Oct. 25: Application Deadline One - Scholarship, Media, Mock Trial and Governor's Cabinet
- Nov. 1: Mock Trial and Media Delegates Posted
- Nov. 3: Advisor and SDL Calls
- Nov. 7: Judicial Virtual Pre-Conference | 3 - 5 p.m.
- Nov. 14: Legislative Virtual Pre-Conference | 3 - 5 p.m.
- Nov. 22: Application Deadline Two - Candidate, Legislative, Budge Analyst and Lobbyist
Keeping Delegates safe at the 2022 Conference
As we approach the 2022 NC Youth and Government Conference, we're committed to balancing participant and staff safety with a strong desire to have an in-person conference. The conference will have some modifications and will follow safety protocols and directions from state and local authorities. As conference dates approach, we'll continue to monitor all indicators and will keep participants informed if any changes happen.
To keep this balance, we will follow several safety protocols for the 2022 conference
- EVERYONE - students, advisors and staff, regardless of vaccination status will be required to submit a negative COVID PCR test result within 3 days of the start of the conference. We will provide more instruction on how to submit these results as the conference approaches.
- Delegates will not be allowed to "come and go" from the conference as they have in years past.
- Participants, advisors and staff will wear masks while indoors, except for in their own sleeping rooms.
- Programming and evening activities may take place in small groups while still maintaining the traditional conference experience.
- Mealtimes and transition periods will be staggered and extra COVID protocols will be in place.
YMCA NC Youth and Government is for high school teens in grades 9 - 12.
The YMCA of the Triangle hosts Youth and Government delegations at area YMCAs. High Schools across the state also host delegations. Delegations typically meet weekly. Find the delegation nearest to you.
North Carolina Youth & Government Program Highlights
NC YMCA Youth & Government delegates have the opportunity to participate throughout the academic school year and also apply for two options in the summer.
The Youth Legislature Conference | Raleigh, NC
Held annually in February, this conference brings students together from across the state to experience the governmental process first-hand through a youth-run and youth-led model. During this weekend experience, students participate as legislative, judicial or media delegates
Conference on National Affairs | Black Mountain, NC
This week-long summer conference offers opportunities for Youth & Government participants to do research in areas of national and international concern, and to organize their findings into documented proposals. They engage in discussions and debate these proposals with students from around the country.
National Judicial Competition | Chicago, IL
The YMCA National Judicial Competition is held each summer. This program is a combination of Mock Trial and Appellate (Moot Court) events as well as opportunities to meet other students from across the country who share a passion for Youth and Government and the judicial system. The competitions take place at the Chicago Bar Association and the Chicago Federal Courthouse.
For more information about NC YMCA Youth and Government, contact Leigh Dauchert or call 336-688-1706.