The YMCA offers a full YMCA of the USA lifeguard training course that includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPRO) and First Aid, equipment-based rescues for aquatic environments, accident prevention and decision-making skills.
Participants must be 16 years old by the end of the class. Online prework, attendance, full participation, successful completion of written tests and performance of all water skills are required.
If you're interested in working as a lifeguard for the YMCA, training may be available at no cost to you. Contact our branch aquatics directors for additional information.
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet-first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance
A.E. Finley YMCA
*Trainings are blended classes that include 5+ hours of online coursework prior to the classroom time at the branch.
- March 8 - 29 | Sundays, 1 - 7 p.m.
- April 6 - 9 | Monday - Thursday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- April 19 - May 10 | Sundays, 1 - 7 p.m.
Register beginning April 2020:
- June 15 - 18 | Monday - Thursday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Contact: Linda Singh
Alexander Family YMCA
Saturday/Sunday, March 14/15 & 21/22
10 a.m. - 6 p.m. each day
Saturday/Sunday, April 18/19 & 25/26
10 a.m. - 6 p.m. each day
Contact: Whitney Anderson
Chapel Hill - Carrboro YMCA
Saturday/Sunday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- March 7-8 & 14-15
- April 4-5 (Recertification Only)
- April 18-19 & 25-26
- May 2-3 & 9-10
- May 16-17 & 23-24
Contact: Seattle Kiser
*Ask about free training for potential Y lifeguards!
Kerr Family YMCA
Saturdays, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
February 1 - 22, 2020
Contact: Brendan Roberts
Taylor Family YMCA
Fridays (6 - 9 p.m.) / Saturdays (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) / Sundays (12 - 7 p.m.)
- February 7-9 & 15-16
- March 13-15 & 21-22
- May 1-3 & 9-10
Spring Break Class:
Saturday, April 4, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday, April 5, NO CLASS
Mon. - Wed., April 6-8, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Contact Eric Bjorkquist with any questions and interest in group interview opportunities for potential Y staff.
A.E. Finley YMCA, Linda Singh
Alexander Family YMCA, Eli Boothe
Chapel Hill - Carrboro YMCA, Seattle Kiser
Downtown Durham and Hope Valley Farms YMCAs, Stanley Bass
Ingram Family YMCA, Josh Tillett
Kerr Family YMCA, Ginny Thorsen
Kraft Family YMCA, Jack Schenk
Northwest Cary YMCA, Jessica Meder
Poole Family YMCA, Nick Tipling
Taylor Family YMCA, Eric Bjorkquist