The YMCA offers a full YMCA of the USA lifeguard training course that includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPRO) and First Aid, equipment-based rescues for aquatic environments, accident prevention and decision-making skills.
Participants must be 16 years old by the end of the class. Attendance, full participation and successful completion or written tests and performance of all water skills are required.
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet-first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance
Lifeguard training sessions are usually held in the spring.
A.E. Finley YMCA, Linda Singh
Alexander Family YMCA, Eli Boothe
Chapel Hill - Carrboro YMCA, Seattle Kiser
Downtown Durham and Hope Valley Farms YMCAs, Cole Surber
Kerr Family YMCA, Ginny Thorsen
Kraft Family YMCA, Christopher Thomas
Poole Family YMCA, Nick Tipling
Taylor Family YMCA, Eric Bjorkquist