The YMCA offers a full YMCA of the USA Lifeguard training course that includes American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPRO) and First Aid, equipment-based rescues for aquatic environments, accident prevention, and decision making skills.
Participants must be 16 years old by the end of the class. Attendance, full participation, and successful completion of written tests and performance of all water skills are required.
Participants must be able to:
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of: front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance
Lifeguard training course are offered throughout the year at several YMCAs. We do offer courses during the Wake County Spring Break and weekends during the spring. Online registration for these courses begins Feb. 1 for YMCA Members, and Feb. 15 for Participants.