The YMCA of the Triangle offers progressive swim lessons for ages 3 - 5. YMCA swim lessons are taught year-round in our indoor and outdoor pools.
A parent/family member must participate in the water. The swim instructor will be on the deck providing instruction.
*For the comfort of our instructors, they have the option of utilizing a face shield. An emphasis on consistent social distancing during in-pool instruction (6' or roughly an arm's length plus a kickboard) is our primary, CDC-advised modification to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This is in addition to our screening and cleaning protocols. All deck-based swim instruction will be administered with use of a face mask.
SWIM LESSON SKILLS
We use class levels to ensure your preschooler is placed according to his/ her ability. Children are evaluated at the beginning of each session and placed in the appropriate class based on demonstrated ability.
- Tread water for 30 seconds with floatation
- Jump and submerge with assistance
- Float on back for 10 seconds without floatation
- 5 submerged rhythmic breaths
- Roll with assistance
- Swim 5 feet front crawl with face in water without floatation
- Tread water for 15 seconds without floatation
- Jump, push, turn and grab
- Swim 12.5 yards backstroke with floatation
- Front glide for 5 feet with roll
- Touch bottom of the shallow end with hand
- Swim 12.5 yards front crawl with floatation
- Tread water for 30 seconds without floatation
- Perform sitting front glide
- Swim 12.5 yards front crawl
- Swim 12.5 yards backstroke
- Swim 12.5 yards elementary backstroke with whip kick
Feb. 1: Members
Feb. 15: Program Participants
June 1: Members
Summer swim lessons are only available for YMCA Members.
Aug. 1: Members
Aug. 15: Program Participants
Nov. 1: Members
Nov. 15: Program Participants
Not all lesson days and times are available for Program Participants, due to demand.
A.E. Finley YMCA, Linda Singh
Alexander Family YMCA, Gretchen Golz
Chapel Hill - Carrboro and Meadowmont YMCAs, Seattle Kiser
Downtown Durham and Hope Valley Farms YMCAs, Stanley Bass
Ingram Family YMCA, Jack Schenk
Kerr Family YMCA, Lorie Buchholz
Kraft Family YMCA, Jack Schenk
Northwest Cary YMCA, Jessica Meder
Poole Family, Robin Miller
Taylor Family YMCA, Eric Bjorkquist
Southeast Raleigh YMCA, Christopher Thomas
YMCA at Knightdale Station, Jeff Little