Let your kids take their soccer play to the next level with the Triangle Y Soccer Club Challenge Program, and learn why our families love it!
The Triangle Y Soccer Club is challenge-level club developed and operated by the YMCA of the Triangle to offer youth the opportunity to continue their soccer skills at the next level while embodying the coaching style, character building and youth development YMCA youth sports are known for.
Challenge is a competitive level of soccer where player expectations and development are raised beyond recreational soccer. Challenge is not “win at all cost.” Challenge is a player development level. Unlike recreation, where all registered players are assigned to a team, Challenge teams are created through a tryout process with a strict maximum roster. Players are selected based on their soccer skills, work ethic, and focus. Challenge players should have a willingness and desire to improve their soccer skills. We recommend registering for our recreational soccer league during the registration period. In the event your child is selected for the Challenge Team at tryouts you will receive a full recreational league refund.
2023-2024 Season and Teams
Tryouts and practices are held at the Southeast Raleigh YMCA.
9U (2015 - 2016) Coach JT Vaughn
10U (2014) Hawks, Coach Todd Lindsay
11U (2013) City, Coach Nick Trapman
12U (2012) Fire, Coach Jay Gomez
10U (2014 - 2015) Coach Eric Rhinehalt
12U (2012 - 2013) Tide, Coach Bob Wilburn
14U (2010 - 2011) Foxes, Coach Anna Plowman
Interested players should email Eric Rhinehalt.
Northern Region - Finley
Tryouts and practices are held at the A.E. Finley YMCA.
10U (2014)* Coach Lindsay Combs
12U (2012) Coach Andrew Meehan
13U (2011)* Coach Jason Liner (Spring Only Team, 4 - 6 roster openings)
14U (2010)* Coach Jay Keel
12U (2012)* Coach Joseph Andrassy
13U (2011)* Coach Chuck Sawyer (3 - 5 roster openings)
14U (2010)* Coach Peter May
15U (2009)* Coach Dave Mallick (Fall Only Team)
17U (2007)* Coach Chris Applegate (Fall Only Team)
*These teams are hosting tryouts for the '23-'24 year. See schedule below.
For additional information, contact Darrian Saddler.
Southern Region - Kraft
Tryouts and practices are held at the Kraft Family YMCA.
13U (2011/2012) - Coach Beanie Clapper
11U (2013/2014) Coach Adam Steele
10U (2014/2015) Scorpions, Coach Mark Simmons
11U (2013) Lightning, Coach Reggie O'Rourke
13U (2011) Red Storm, Kevin Cox
14U (2010) Hotspur, Coach Dan Davie
16U (2008) Rovers, Coach Adam Steele - spring 2024 team only
Interested players should email Mark Simmons.
Southern Region - Northwest Cary YMCA
Tryouts and practices are held at the Northwest Cary YMCA
11U (2013) Cheetahs, Coach Kingsley McLeod
10U (2014) Coach TBD
11U (2013) Coach Eric JohnBull & Coach Rick Dunham
Interested players should email Andrian Rutherford.
Central Region, Southeast Raleigh YMCA (all on the front field; check-in at shelter):
- Boys’ 9 U (2015 & 2016) team - Mon., May 22 & Wed., May 24; 6 - 7 p.m.
- Boys’ 10U (2014) Hawks – Mon., May 22 & Wed., May 24; 6 - 7 p.m.
- Boys’ 11U (2013 & 2014) Fire – Tues., May 23 & Thurs., May 25; 6 - 7 p.m.
- Boys’ 12U (2012 & 2013) Fire – Tues., May 23 & Thurs., May 25; 6 - 7 p.m.
- Girls’ 10U (2014 & 2015) Dash - Mon., May 22 & Wed., May 24; 6 - 7 p.m.
- Girls’ 12U (2012 & 2013) Tide – Mon., May 22 & Wed., May 24; 6 - 7 p.m.
- Girls’ 14U (2010 & 2011) Foxes – Tues., May 23 & Thurs., May 25; 6 - 7 p.m.
Northern Region, A.E. Finley YMCA (check-in on the athletic fields)
- Girls 12U (2012) team - Wed., May 24 & Thu., May 25, 5:30 - 6:45 p.m.
- Girls 13U (2011) team - Mon., May 22 & Tue., May 23, 7 - 8:15 p.m.
- Girls 14U (2010) team - Mon., May 22 & Tue., May 23, 5:30 - 6:45 p.m.
- Girls 15U (2009) team - Wed., May 24 & Thu., May 25, 7 - 8:15 p.m.
- Girls 17U (2007) team - Mon., May 22 & Tue., May 23, 5:30 - 6:45 p.m.
- Boys 10U (2014) team - Mon., May 22 & Tue., May 23, 5:30 - 6:45 p.m.
- Boys 13U (2011) team - Mon., May 22 & Tue., May 23, 7 - 8:15 p.m.
- Boys 14U (2010) team - Wed., May 24 & Thu., May 25, 7 - 8:15 p.m.
Southern Region, Kraft Family YMCA (all on the front field; check-in at shelter):
- Boys’ 10U (2014) team – Tues., May 16 & Wed., May 17; 5:45 – 6:45 p.m.
- Boys’ 11U (2013) Lightning – Tues., May 23 & Thurs., May 25; 6 - 7 p.m.
- Boys’ 13U (2011) Red Storm – Mon., May 22 & Wed., May 24; 5:45 – 6:45 p.m.
- Boys’ 14U (2010) Hotspur – Mon, Tues, Wed., May 22-24; 7 – 8 p.m.
- Boys’ 16U (2008) Rovers – Thurs., May 25; 7 - 8 p.m.
- Girls’ 13U (2011) team – Tues., May 23 & Tues. May 30 - 5:45 - 6:45 p.m.
- Girls’ 11U (2013) team – Wed., May 24 & Thurs., May 25; 5:45 - 6:45 p.m.
Southern Region, Northwest Cary YMCA (all on turf field; check in on field):
- Coed 11U (2013) Cheetahs – Tues., May 23 & Thurs., May 25; 7 - 8 p.m.
- Coed 10U (2014) team – Tues., May 23 & Thurs., May 25; 6 - 7 p.m.
- Girls' 11U (2013) team - Tues., May 30 & Thurs., June 1; 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Sign up for Tryouts at all Locations
Challenge teams practice twice per week, play regular season games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and attend tournaments. A player selected for a Challenge team remains registered to that team for one seasonal year (Aug. 1 through following May 31), which includes the fall and spring seasons.
Players are expected to attend both practices each week and be focused on the training session. Playing time depends primarily on attendance, attitude, and work ethic. However, since the game is the best teacher, players generally play about half the game and earn more playing time based on the above criteria.
TRAVEL & TOURNAMENTS
Most regular season opponents are within the Triangle region. Typical travel time for away games is 30-60 mins with an occasional 75-minute drive. Tournaments may be local or remote enough to require staying overnight.
TYSC Challenge teams play in the NCFC scheduling league made up teams from NCFC and other clubs primarily in Wake, Johnston, and Orange Counties. Teams play each other based on a schedule created by the NCFC league scheduler. Each season, Challenge teams play approximately eight games and attend local or out-of-town tournaments where they may play against teams from anywhere in the state.
NCYSA sanctions numerous tournaments during the year throughout the state. Our teams are eligible to play in any, or all, of them. Full-year teams have entry fees for two tournaments covered by their registration. Single-season teams (15U & older) have entry fees for one tournament covered by their registration. The team must pay for any additional tournaments. Teams typically attend a tournament each season. It’s customary for most teams to attend the same tournaments, but teams may substitute based on their schedules and desires of the team.
Northern Wake, A.E. Finley YMCA, Kerr Family YMCA & YMCA at Knightdale Station, Darrian Saddler
Southern Wake, Kraft Family, Northwest Cary & Taylor Family YMCAs, Mark Simmons
Central Wake, Alexander Family and Southeast Raleigh YMCAs, Eric Rhinehalt